Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Heron & the Coot
By Hubert Hausoul

The Great Blue Heron strutted through the shallows among the lily pads.
A Mud Duck saw him and bid a cheery “Good day and good fishing.”
The proud heron annoyed at the distraction called back,
“The fishing would be easier if I could ignore the reflection of my great stature.”
“You are beautifully made” said the coot “but I am glad I am not you. God made me small and  simple but he takes care of me well.”
“From my magnificent vantage,” replied the heron”I can see fish from afar.”
“I am not stuck fishing in the shallows.” said the coot “I can dive deep and go where the fish are. From my simple vantage I can see God’s point of view. I do not get my opinion of myself by looking at myself. I am valued because the creator values me.”
The heron turn his head sideways and gazed at his reflection with new curiosity.


No comments:

Post a Comment